Find a post

Jun 13, 2024

Something Sacrificed by Erin FitzGerald Review

 

* This review is spoiler-free *

4.75/5 ⭐

Tropes

 Cowboy romance

Friends to lovers

Single mom

Angst/painful pasts

Age gap

 He falls first

 Small town


Synopsis

Some people would call this a midlife crisis, but I know better. Pulling up my shallow roots, I decide on a whim to move from Texas to Montana, leaving what I've known for the past three decades. The woman I cross paths with is one I've known for 20 years, someone to whom I've grown close: My best friend's widow, Genesis, who's running the family ranch after her husband's tragic death. Startled by her unexpected appearance, I create a situation I can't seem to fix. But a bigger problem is that her ranch is under threat. Can I mend what I've broken and convince her not to make the biggest mistake of her life?


Best Quote From the Book

“I'm so angry with you-furious-stop trying to confuse me with your stupid wonderful lips."


My Thoughts

Oh gosh, where do I begin? Unsurprisingly, I totally adored this story. Bestie Erin, you did it again what can I say. Y'all nobody has emotional romance mastered the way she does, truly no one. I will try to keep this review from purely being a rant about how much I adore Erin and her stories but no promises!

I have admittedly been chatting with Erin a bit about this story as part of her arc and overall support team and I wanted to share a bit she told me about this story in particular as I totally noticed it myself while reading and it added exponentially to the emotional strength of this story. Will's story is inspired by one of her close friends who wasn't in this world long enough to get a happy ending of his own. This story is a gift to him that creates a happy ending that he deserves. I could absolutely tell while reading that this story had more of a personal touch than the others in the series. There is this unspoken depth to the characters that makes this one additionally hard-hitting. I'm honored to witness both a healing experience for Erin and a lovely ending for her dear friend. There were also just general moments where it was obvious that more of Erin's personal touches were shining through. For example, as a Food Network girlie myself, I could tell Erin actually watches those shows too. Those little sparks of her are what make the book feel special. 

Now that we've gotten the sappiness out of the way I can dive into my thoughts about the story itself. The way the characters are described is particularly beautiful. I could feel Genesis and Will's pure awe towards each other. It was refreshing to see two strong characters fall for each other. Neither of them pulled any punches. Their headstrong attitudes feed into the angst perfectly. I also love how the angst is prominent but doesn't come off as juvenile. 

There were a few moments that made me fall in love and Will and Genesis. These include Will's adorable happy dance, Willa's disaster sushi fascination, Jud's brutal honesty that he knows exactly what his mother is up to, and Genesis' moments where she stands up to Ford. Ford, all I will say is that I hope you continue to have the future you deserve (no spoilers here). I also want to shout out that I am so happy to see more of the softened version of Mark. He has absolutely rounded out as a person since being with Lana for an extended period. They are from Something Lost if you were unfamiliar. I am shocked at how well Erin incorporated characters from past books this time. Every time someone we recognize met Will, it was for a legitimate reason and didn't feel forced. 

This story most definitely includes spice scenes that are very spicy. If you don't like spice, I would suggest skipping this book. The spice was giving and most definitely had me blushing while reading. 

Overall if you couldn't tell, I adored this book. Everything about it hit and felt so authentic to Erin and the series as a whole. I will be sad to read the last book and conclude the series later this year so prepare for a sob fest when that happens. I will be constantly recommending this book and the series as a whole!

I received this book as part of the Erin Fitzgerald arc team. My review is honest and voluntary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protective Billionaire Boss by Evie Sterling Review

  * This review is spoiler-free * 3.75/5 ⭐ Tropes ➮  Instalove ➮ Surprise pregnancy ➮ Love after death ➮ Opposites attract ➮  Dual POV Syn...