Find a post

May 19, 2024

The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood Review

 

* This review is spoiler-free *

4.75/5 ⭐

Tropes

 Fake dating

Professor x student (not in a class)

STEM romance

Grumpy x sunshine

 BIPOC FMC


Synopsis

Olive doesn’t believe in lasting romantic relationships–but her best friend does. Convincing Anh that Olive is dating was always going to take more than hand-wavy Jedi mind tricks: Scientists require proof. Like any biologist, Olive panics and kisses the first man she sees. That man is Adam Carlsen, a young hotshot professor. Olive is floored when Stanford’s reigning lab tyrant agrees to keep a secret and be her fake boyfriend. When a science conference goes haywire, Adam surprises her again with his unyielding support and even more unyielding abs. Olive discovers that the only thing more complicated than a hypothesis on love is putting her own heart under the microscope.


Best Quote From the Book

I'm starting to wonder if this is what being in love is. Being okay with ripping yourself to shreds, so the other person can stay whole."


LGBTQ+ Representation

5/5 🌈

Two notable side characters end up in a gay relationship. Said relationship is totally accepted and even celebrated. While minor, their representation is very positive. In addition, Olive considers herself demisexual. This part of her identity is explored within the story and shapes her view on romance. 

My Thoughts

This is my first dive into Ali Hazelwood's books and I can say with passion that I was not disappointed. This book wonderfully balances comedy, science, and romance in such a way that kept me entranced from beginning to end. 

Hazelwood does an excellent job of covering the challenges involved with being a BIPOC woman in science. Olive struggles to be taken seriously and constantly has to prove herself worthy of being in the field with many white older men. This book provides the depth of day-to-day challenges that help make the representation worthwhile and rewarding. This book is excellent at the concept of being a mirror for some and a window for others. (If you have not heard of this concept let me know and I will gladly explain it in more detail).

The tension Hazelwood is able to create feels palpable. I truly adored the moments when Olive and Adam were forced together. Their passion and chemistry (pun intended) worked so well. By the end, they became a functioning couple with communication and all. Seeing the moments where Anh encourages them to act lovey-dovey was incredibly hilarious. Particularly the sunscreen scene (I seriously almost listened to that one twice). 

Every character in this book was fantastically written. From best friends to the antagonist, they all contributed to the plot and entertainment value of the story. I wish I could've seen even more of them and how their presence and meddling impacted things for the fake couple.  

The one area I thought was lacking was more of Adam's feelings. At first, he was not particularly expressive so it was hard to get a read on how he felt. There is a lot of getting to know Adam with everything except for how he feels about things. 

This book had way more actual plot than I was expecting. As I was listening to the audiobook I kept assuming I must be near the end because so much had already happened but no. There was more! I love that Olive and Adam had to really go through some trials and tribulations to get to the point where they knew they needed to address everything.  

One of my favorite parts was the great roasting of Tom by all of the characters. I found myself quite literally laughing and fist-pumping because all of it was so well-deserved. I won't dive into why he is so unlikeable but trust me, he absolutely is!

This book does contain open-door spice. That said, it can be skipped without missing anything particularly important to the plot. 

Overall, this is one of the top romances in my eyes. While not quite at the level of giving me that 5-star feeling, I highly highly recommend it. All of the characters are fantastic and there is so much plot for readers to immerse themselves in. It is also genuinely funny a lot of the time which adds to the appeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something Saved by Erin FitzGerald Review

  * This review is spoiler-free * 5/5 ⭐ Tropes ➮  Single uncle ➮ Cowboy romance ➮ Small town ➮ Nanny romance Synopsis When Morgan shows up...