Find a post

May 23, 2024

So Not My Boss Crush by Evie Sterling Review

 

* This review is spoiler-free *

4.5/5 ⭐

Tropes

 Enemies to lovers

Office romance

Opposites attract

Reformed playboy MMC

➮ Dual POV


Synopsis

For six years, Brock Benson was the monster I worked for. The gorgeous monster—who never even said hello. Then one morning, everything changed. When Brock’s assistant quit, I had no choice. Brock approved, and gave me a promotion I didn’t want… Now I’m fielding calls from his ex, managing his schedule, and caring for his sister's dogs. I’m intertwined with Brock’s life and it’s not terrible. When he gives me a house key, my heart skips a beat. Our texts are getting more flirty by the day. Our usual morning has been replaced by stolen kisses in the break room. But Brock's go-go, and I like to stop and smell the roses. Crushing on my boss is bad enough. Falling in love with him is completely out of the question. This relationship should come with one of those coffee-cup warnings: ‘CAUTION: CONTENTS HOT.’  We have to cool it off, or else one of us will get burned


Best Quote From the Book

“Brock Benson's Sizzling, Scandalous Dating Life"


My Thoughts

I will admit at first I was nervous about how quickly Gwen and Brock began to fall for each other. It felt like a bit of a breakneck pace for people who barely interacted previously. That said. the longer it went on, the more realistic it felt. At first, it was like okay he's hot and actually talking to you now but he is incredibly belligerent. Eventually, it became more like, wow that is a genuine connection. I have seen such an instant connection in my own life before, so it was just an oddly portrayed version of that. Granted Brock isn't any better, he was head over heels just because she was pretty and genuinely nice. 

Brock is so tone-deaf about how he comes off. How did he not notice how much of a jerk he sounded when talking to most people? It felt more like a caricature than an actual person when we first met him. It was like Gwen reminded him to act like a decent human being. 

There are so many wonderful meddling characters in this book. Among them are Brock's sister, Gwen's best friend, and even Gwen's mother. Knowing all of them were rooting for the duo made the book have a nice and comfy vibe. They were all also an excellent source of giggles. 

The part of the book that really surprised me was the plot twist. It truly felt like it suddenly came out of left field. I would've loved to have seen a few foreshadowing moments leading up to the climax of the story. 

The part about the castle room was truly beautiful. I loved seeing Gwen's spirits become lifted as she remembers her grandmother's legacy. I wish I could've had an experience like that of my own. This entire series is really making me want to visit that castle if I am honest.

Overall, this story is a pretty lighthearted romance. There are some instalovey vibes but I do suggest you give it a chance. The side characters are what really made this story shine. Their meddling and genuine nature was a refreshing element to the story. 

I received this book as an arc and am part of the haylingsbookstorm street team for Evie Sterling. My review is honest and voluntary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something Saved by Erin FitzGerald Review

  * This review is spoiler-free * 5/5 ⭐ Tropes ➮  Single uncle ➮ Cowboy romance ➮ Small town ➮ Nanny romance Synopsis When Morgan shows up...