Find a post

Feb 27, 2024

Something Broken by Erin FitzGerald Review

 

* This review is spoiler-free *

4.75/5 ⭐

Tropes

 Best friend's brother

Small-town 

 Cowboy

  Second chance

Single dad

 Only one bed

 It's always been you

  Dual POV


Synopsis

His sister's best friend wasn't supposed to upend his life. Ashley was a thunderbolt compared to Travis' slow ranch attitude. He quickly fell for her when they met years ago. After a foolish choice, he lost her for decades. His sister orchestrates them a second chance. Will they be able to reconnect?


Best Quote From the Book

“We'd always had this connection, something deep and emotional, a link from his heart to mine, and I'd thought I was going to die when he'd been the one to sever it"


LGBTQ+ Representation

3/5 🌈

There is a background character who is married to a gay partner. They play a minor role and have multiple lines. Their appearance is deemed completely normal and is portrayed in a positive light. 

My Thoughts

This book is the second in the Wolf Mountain Rancher series. This book follows the best friend and the brother of Lana from Something Lost. As such, the end result of this book is revealed in book one as well as a good bit of their journey. Even so, I found it worth reading. There were a lot of surprising caveats in Travis' point of view that helped differentiate it from the first book. In addition, reading the first book is not necessary to understand this one but there is a ton of character overlap. 

There were some rather skippable scenes because many of the days were quite repetitive. There were many instances discussing Ashley getting sad and drinking. I found myself skimming these scenes because they weren't very unique. I do understand that the reputation does demonstrate that Ashley was stuck in the cycle for a long time. 

This book goes back and forth in time a lot as the characters remember and address more of the past as the story progresses. I really appreciate that these time changes are clearly labeled throughout the chapter and at the beginning of the chapter. This clarity is highly beneficial to understanding the story. 

While I am not going to go into details to avoid spoilers, I want to shout out a hilarious scene to look out for. The scene with Ajmal and Travis was by far my favorite part of the entire book. I will be rereading that scene in the future.

At the end of the book, there is a completely adorable wedding scene. I loved seeing all of the family members interact and witness the squabbling. I absolutely had misty eyes by the end. It's impressive for a not-sad scene to incite some tears. 

I will note that there is some spice in this book. These scenes do not go into too much detail or depth. These scenes can be skipped without missing any important plot points. 

Overall, to my surprise, I felt there was still a lot to gain from this book after reading the first one. I would've liked it even more if it was a little less repetitive. There were a lot of emotional and funny scenes that help the reader see the depth and complexity of Travis and Ashley's relationship. This book was excellent at showing progress instead of telling. 

I received this book as part of a release team. My review is honest and voluntary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something Saved by Erin FitzGerald Review

  * This review is spoiler-free * 5/5 ⭐ Tropes ➮  Single uncle ➮ Cowboy romance ➮ Small town ➮ Nanny romance Synopsis When Morgan shows up...