Find a post

Apr 23, 2024

Something Gained by Erin Fitzgerald Review

 

* This review is spoiler-free *

4.75/5 ⭐

Tropes

 Age gap

Friends to lovers

Single mom

Reverse grumpy x sunshine

 Cinnamon roll MMC


Synopsis

My plans and dreams have been put aside in favor of survival. The cowboy who finds me walking home offers me a ride and food. He has demons of his own, stating he doesn't expect repayment as he understands the struggle. When my son and I are in danger, Jacob provides us shelter. Both of us are hiding dark pasts. After a lifetime of feeling like I'm not enough, the thought of not being enough for him scares me the most.


Best Quote From the Book

“With a little effort, I could pour all the anger, mistrust, and hurt into the snow to leave behind."


My Thoughts

The magic is back! I love the callbacks to the characters in the previous books. They still give Mark flack for how protective he is of Lana which was well-deserved. Both Jacob and Emily go to Ashley for therapy which is cute and very fitting. Fitzgerald is excellent and weaving the stories of characters together without making an overly complicated web. Not everyone has to know everyone incredibly well and she does this perfectly! That said, I would've loved to see at least a little cameo from Travis, not just Ashley.

I loved the character of an ass-grabbing old lady so much. There were truly moments where her boldness made me chuckle. She is one of a few side characters that bring a little bit of light to a much heavier story. Their inclusion is much needed. 

I will say, Erin... I hate you a little for killing off the cutie horse. That poor baby did nothing to deserve that pain and suffering. At least it actually propelled the story forward and gave Jacob the push he needed to confront his feelings. 

This story is absolutely filled to the brim with heartbreak and teary-eyed moments. I definitely sobbed more than a few times with all they went through. The trauma was so authentic. I am unbelievably amazed at Fitzgerald's ability to express raw and deep emotion through her storytelling. The way they had to work through it all and the setbacks they endured are very reflective of the real lives of people who went through challenging times. Fitzgerald creates characters with deep deep trauma and then actually makes them put in the work to grow and move on towards happiness. There is no fast-forwarding through Jacob and Emily's respective traumas, they confront it for the long term. 

By the end, I was incredibly happy for Emily's son Riley. He went through so much so young and he came out at the end all the better. The bond he creates with Jacob is so heart-warming and gave me the warm fuzzies. I really appreciate how while Emily is a single mom, she isn't desperate or trying to fling her responsibilities onto someone else. Riley isn't just a character that is there to be there. He gives depth and significance to the bond between Emily and Jacob. 

This book has some open-door spice. It does contribute to the plot and how the characters are growing. That said, it can probably be skipped without missing all too much. 

Overall this was another incredible cowboy romance. The characters and depth of the story are by far the best aspects. I loved the cameos from the characters in the earlier books. I highly advise looking at the trigger warnings before reading this book because there are many that can be very raw and deep for those with similar experiences. 

I received this book as an arc and am part of the author's arc team. My review is honest and voluntary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something Saved by Erin FitzGerald Review

  * This review is spoiler-free * 5/5 ⭐ Tropes ➮  Single uncle ➮ Cowboy romance ➮ Small town ➮ Nanny romance Synopsis When Morgan shows up...