Find a post

Feb 11, 2024

Icebreaker by Hannah Grace Review

 

* This review is spoiler-free *

5/5 ⭐

Tropes

 Enemies to lovers

Hockey romance

Forced proximity

Found family


Synopsis

Anastasia Allen has dreamed of being a member of the Team USA figure skating team and got a scholarship to join the Maple Hills skating team. Nathan Hawkins is the captain of the hockey team. In a turn of events, both teams end up having to share a rink. When Anastasia's skating partner gets injured, they are stuck together even more. 


Best Quote From the Book

“I know you don't, but you're worth defending. Every cut, every bruise, every single pang of anger or frustration. It's all worth it. I'd throw my last puch defending you because you deserve to have someone be that person for you, and there's no one more qualified for the job than me." 


My Thoughts

Unsurprisingly, I am a huge fan of a book that combines two of my favorite sports. Figure skating and hockey together, what more could I ask for? My love for these sports also most definitely contributes to my 5-star rating. I hope later books in the series highlight more of the hockey side of the player's lives, not just the team aspects.

There were several funny moments including a scene with Despicable Me costumes that added to the charm of the story. The found family of the hockey team and Anastasia were incredibly endearing. As a reader, I could feel the trust and support that all of the team has for each other.

Anastasia and Nathan make a good pairing because they both help each other grow emotionally and ensure they can be the best versions of themselves possible. While they were connected quickly, their relationship served more purpose in their lives than just stress relief or a fling. From the beginning to the end of the story Anastasia especially grows so much as a person and finally really comes into her own. 

My only complaint is that the ending felt like it wrapped up very quickly and left a few things unanswered which frustrated me a bit. I wish it would've gone into more depth about the intentions of some of the characters. 

Do keep in mind that despite the cute cover, this book is quite spicy. These scenes are plentiful and are essentially unskippable. If you are not a fan of spice, this is not the book for you. 

In sum, I really enjoyed my time reading this book and getting to feel part of the Maple Hills community. The subjects of the book were well-aligned with my interests and I enjoyed seeing where their journey would go. I would recommend this book to hockey fans, romance fans, and figure skating fans alike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something Saved by Erin FitzGerald Review

  * This review is spoiler-free * 5/5 ⭐ Tropes ➮  Single uncle ➮ Cowboy romance ➮ Small town ➮ Nanny romance Synopsis When Morgan shows up...